The Philippi Covered Bridge across Tygart Valley River was built in 1852 by Lemuel Chenoweth of Beverly. Made of wood with the exception of the iron bolts used to hold the segments together.
It is an example of the best in covered bridge architecture and design. It was used by armies of the North and South in the Civil War. In 1934 the bridge was strengthened to permit modern traffic and is today a part of U.S. 250.
The bridge is located in Barbour County, West Virginia.
© 2005, wvpics.com
Updated : March 31, 2005