HISTORY OF CASSVILLE SCHOOL SUB-DISTRICT # 10,
COMPILED BY PUPILS AND HIRAM EVANS, TEACHER
1921 - 1922
Cassville is located in the northwestern part of Cass District about eight miles west of Morgantown at the junction of Scott's and Pointer's Run and Morgantown, Laurel Point and Mt. Morris Roads. The village, although small is quite old and once was known as the largest town in the district
The industries at one time were a tannery, flour and feed mill, and a wagon and carriage shop The first house was a school house on the ground now occupied by the M. E. Church. It was used one hundred thirteen years ago for school, Masonic and religious purposes. At this early date we learn that William Slater and David Shookley taught in this building. This is interesting fact shows that the early citizens were interested in the education of their children prior to the establishing of free schools in Virginia, west of the mountains.
Peter A. Layton laid out the town on lands of Cabel Hurley and Levin Fleming. About 1840 they desired a post office and as there was another Jacksonville in the state of Virginia, Nicholas B. Madera suggested that is be called Cassville. The district and village of Cassville were named in honor of Lewis Cass, a prominent statesman who was born in Exeter, New Hampshire, in 1782. He was admitted to the bar and became prominent in Ohio politics. In 1813 he rose to the rank of Brigadier General. From 1813 to 1830 he was governor of Michigan. He was Secretary of War during Andrew Jackson’s Administration. Although a non slave holder and prominent man of the North, he was nominated by the Democrats of the South for president at the close at the close of the Mexican War to gain votes in the North and Count act the efforts of the Whigs who had nominated Zachary Taylor of the South. He served twelve years in the United States Senate and was Secretary of State during Buchanan's administration. He believed with Clay and Webster in the Union and voted for measures to maintain it.
A licensed hotel was attempted many years ago but failed to meet the approval of the good citizens who were decidedly in favor of prohibition and looked with disfavor on those who kept unlicensed houses. Among the early pioneer settlers of Cass District was one David Watkins, who settled in this vicinity about the year 1775 and later 1781 patented a tract of 400 acres of land including what is now Cassville This entire tract was later transferred to William Willey. In 1796 William Willey transferred to his son, William Jr, 159 acres of this tract which later became the property of Matthew George. Matthew George sold to Boaz Barnett fifteen acres of this tract. In 1804 William Willey Senior conveyed to Elizabeth Chestney, whose son David married Nancy Tucker, a grandchild of George Tucker who rescued a Miss Hutchinson from the Indians, whom he married. David Chestney is now employed in the oil fields on Doll's Run. Their children are Max Chestney a veteran of the Spanish American War. Guy an aviator during the World's War and he has not been heard of at the present writing, Grace Ramsey, who resides at Taft, California. Her husband, John Ramsey is an oil field Supt., Bessie who married Earnest Lynch also of California, and Kinnie who married Clarence Cole, clerk in Wellen's Grocery at Morgantown, W. Va at the present time Among the early settlers was William Willey who with others emigrated from Delaware at the close of the revolution. He located near Cassville, and bought the farm now owned by Herbert Fleming His children were born in Delaware and were: John, a farmer and local preacher: Betsy, who married Nathan Johnson: Bridget, who married Boaz Burrows and later William Willey. William Willey was born in 1776, came with his father in 1781 and was with Wayne in his campaign against the Indians. His first wife was Mollie Johnson. They had one son, WIlliam J. Willey, a member of the House of Delegates and Senate of Virginia. His second wife was Sarah Barnes. To this union was born one son, William T. Willey, who took such a prominent part in the formation of our State. He was one of the first United States Senators from West Virginia. He died May 2, 1900. John T. Fleming, the youngest son of Levin Fleming and Mary Willey was born near Cassville, June 8th, 1827. He was a teacher for six years and was the first Democratic Sheriff of Monogalia County. Resin Fleming, son of John Fleming came from Redstone, Pa. and settled where Leander Sutton now lives. He married Sarah Lemley and their children were: James Lewis, Samuel, Asa Snyder, Rebecca, Kary, Susan, Catherine, Sarah Francis and Emma. James Lewis, Samuel and Sarah Berry are still living. Sarah M. Liming married Richard Benson Berry, a Civil War veteran and carpenter by trade. Mr. Berry has been dead several years and his widow lives in Cassville. Harry Liming, the son of Sarah Berry is a farmer living on the Mt. Morris Road. The property now owned by David Ramsey was once the home of James Kelley an early citizen of this district. He married Nancy Finnell who came to this district in 1828 over the National Pike form CUlpepper County, Virginia.
Their children were: Jane, who married Jacob Barrackman, Ellen who married Thomas Berry, Mary, who married Dr. C. H. McLane, of Morgantown, W. Va, Emma who married Dr. Morris and James L. Kelley who went to Famington, W. Va in 1884 and was deputy sheriff of Marion County from 1897-1900 and who is now an oil dealer and lives in Fairmont, W. Va. Mrs. James Kelley died in 1908 at the age of 97 years. Caleb Hurley one of the early citizens of Cassville, married Sarah Davis. They had one child Elizabeth, who married Hanson Cole. To this union were born fourteen children: Caleb, Draper, Elizabeth, John, William, Asa, Sophia, Pernia, Amada, Nancy, Joseph, Sallie, Lavina and one infant deceased. Elizabeth Cole married Enoch Brewer, a farmer. Their children were: Cole, Province, Ira, Amos, Jay, Enoch, Miller, Van, Mary, Junia and Naomi. This family was reared at Davistown, Pa. Sophronia Barrickman married William Simpson. Their children were Snodia, Hattie, Emma, Bertie, Rosa, Lessie, George, Henderson and Helia. Mr. Simpson was a farmer. William Cole married Jane Thompson. Their children were: Catherine, Charles, Grant, George, William Jr., and Kattie. Mr. William Cole one morning during the gold excitment in California, went to the wood yard to get a load of wood but instead of getting the wood went to California and remained about four and one half years. When he came back he brought the wood. Sophia Cole married John Liming. Asa Cole married Mary Thomas. Their children were: Virgil, Homer, Elisha, Mannah, Sarah and Lavina, deceased. Virgil Cole married Ann Leveston. Their children were: Mary, Mabel, Charles, Asa, ELiza and Inez. Elisha married Elizabeth McBride. Their children were Jessie and two infants. Jessie married William Bowers. Their home is in Florida. John Cole married Sabina Shively. Their children are: Berkeley, Alva, Clark, Laura, Lydia, Fannie, Belle, Asthbula and Alpheus Alva and Berkeley Cole live in Montana. Clark lives in Illinois. Alpheus formerly lived in Morgantown but later moved to Florida. Joseph Cole went to California during the gold excitment and later settled in Missouri. Caleb Cole also went to California and settled in Missouri. Caleb Cole also went to California and settled in the West
Cassville School: The Cassville School was formed from Laurel Hill School in 1879 and was located on the Blacksville Road about one fourth mile from Cassville. It was built by Jacob Barriekman
This building was an ordinary frame building, a few of which may still be seen in the district. The old building is still standing and at the present time is used as a grocery.
The first teacher was George Cole. The first graduating class was composed of Hubert Fleming, Frank Morris and James Kelly, this class took the examination at Bethel under the graduating system introduced by Alexander Wade.
The present school building was erected in 1917. It is a modern one room brick building built by ?? . This building the not large enough to accommodate the seventy three pupils enrolled at the present time, has many advantages over the old building in way of lighting, heating, ventilation and sanitary equipment. This building is located on the Mt. Morris Road a little north of the village
Following is a list of the teachers who have taught the Cassville and Chapel School:
David Wiedman- 8 terms George Cole- 2 Terms
Sanford Coburn- 1 term Daniel Morgan 1 term
Samuel Ramsey 1 term Omar Freeland 1 term
Walter Maple\ 2 terms Albert Barker 2 terms
Laura Price\ 2 terms Minnie Ray 2 terms
David Brewer 1 term Richard Fleming 1 term
Clark Hall\ 2 term John Laird 1 term
Minnie Core 1 term John Laird 1 term
Mamie Cogar 2 terms Greek Riley 2 terms
William Simpson 1 term Vergie Shuman 1 term
Elijah Martin\ 2 terms Lilliam Kemper 1 term
Phoebe Pool 1 term W. A. Tucker 2 terms
Ollie Gabbert 1 term Elsie Barnette 1 term
Mrs. French Yoke 1 term Clark Sanders\ 2 terms
John Craigg 1 term Rose Core 1 term
Hiram Evans\ 1 term
Following is a list of the pupils of the School Year 1921-1922
David Barrickman Rita Bossina
Opal Walters Laura Lee
Carl Lee Felix Bossina
George Federoff Walter Heflin
George Heflin Mary Zlotinkoff\par
Mary Petroff Rosa Swiner
Helen Monot Anna Monot
Pearl Brown Walter Brown
Rosa Sershern Anna Sershern
Steve Sershern Joe Sershern
Helen Mizak Joe Mizak
John Mizak James Holt
Bessie Holt Basil Foster
Russel Ammons Clarence Ammons
Earl Ammons Robert Core
Dorothy Core Charles Core
Mary Falter Rosa Petroff
Hubert Dwight Cecil Kennedy
Thomas Hawkins Charles Hawkins
Sylvia Hawkins Anna Irons
Harg. Brown Helen Barnhart
Lois Core Josie Cross
Marg. Cross Evaline Foster
May Kinsley Victoria Kresevitch
Bessie Miller Julia Petroff
Pearl Statler\ May Statler
Madeline Sims Catherine Sims
Elizabeth Artiss\ Sallie Angel
Mary Angel Anna Angel
Irene Luckas Charles Cross
Glen Core Jillis Core
Lewis Cordray Anthony Dressevitch
Lawrence Mussman James Statler
David Statler Wm. Berry
Jno. Berry Beryl Core
Hiram Evans (teacher)
The first Pastor or local preacher of whom we have record was John WIlley, son of William Willey, who preached in this community over one hundred years ago
Cassville at the present time is one Methodist Episopal Church. The building committee for this church consisted of Herbert Fleming, W. A. Tucker and E. O. Weidman.
This church was dedicated by Rev. Chenoweth, Rev. Chidiste was the first pastor The following is a list of pastors of the Cassville, M. E. Church
J. W. Webb J. J. Dolliver
James A. Fullerton Jesse F. Snodgrass
Rev. Cannon J. E. Wasson
J. T. Eichulburger T. H. Trainer
J. C. Rexroad T. W. Chidister
D. A. Friend J. W. Beddow
W. E. Dean W. G. Smith
N. L. Baumgartner O. A. Kelley
O. U. Marple C. B. Meredith
E. J. Heller D. H. Perkins
The people who have been Prominent in church leadership are John L. Jones, Joseph Hagana, E. O. Weidman, Herbert Fleming, W. A. Tucker and Charles Core.
A Post Office was obtained at Cassville in 1840: The first Postmaster was Peter A. Layton who served twenty-two years. Dr. James Way who served five years succeeded him. The following is a list of postmsters that have served since that time:
John W. Tucker Mrs. Elizabeth Lough
E. U. Weidman J. S. Pickenpaugh
Miss Myrtle Lough John W. Kennedy
Mrs. C. L. Ciallelli (Present Postmistress) 1922r
We have record that about eighty years ago William Slater taught school and doctored the people in this community. The first regular physicians was Dr. James Way who practiced here in 1848.
Dr. W. M. Dent of Newberg, Preston County, was here in 1856. Dr. Charles. H. McLane son of Dr. Joseph McLane of Morgantown, W. Va. came September 1867 and remained until October 1882. He moved to Zanesville, Ohio. He was succeeded by Dr. Thomas M. Hood, who was a graduate of the West Virginia University and Jefferson Medical College. He practiced at Shinnston, W. Va., before coming to Cassville.
About thirty four years ago Dr. Milton Rhinehart, a graduate of Waynesburg College and Jefferson Medical College, came to Cassville, and is still a practicing physician. In the year 1902, Dr. George Rinehart, a brother of Dr. Milton Rinehart, and also a former resident of Waynesburg, Pa., began practicing at Cassville. He is a graduate of Waynesburg College and Western Penna. Medical College, and is also a prominent physician at the present time.
The first store was kept by Evans Stewart followed by Lough & Layton, Lemley Brothers, who then built the Sutton Building, and were succeeded by Benjamin Chestney and Son. Sutton & Company, Milligan & Brothers, John Sutton and George Sutton
Furman kept stores in Pickenpaugh Building. He was succeeded by J. S. Pickenpaugh.
James Kelley first kept store in J. K. Barrickman's house succeeded by Kelley and Mercer, John W. Regar, Sloan & Huggs, J. B. Cole, Samuel Miller, Kern & Zinn and Core & Zinn.
There are three stores in Cassville at the present time, J. W. Kennedy in the K. O. T. M. Building, Mrs. C. L. Ciallelli in the Post Office Building and Mrs. Ross West in the former Morgantown & Wheeling statin building.
The old county home is located about one half-mile east of Cassville. It is a two-story brick building, 30 x 40 feet. It erected 1874. The property and dwelling not including the home cost $2000.00. The building committee was Emrod Tennant, Alph. Yeager, and Barton Core. The contract was given to a Mr. Haynes at a bid of $4200.00.
The first superintendent was Mrs. Alice Carrothers. The last in charge of the home at Cassville was Mrs. John R. Waters, who kept the home from April 1919 to April 1921, when the inmates were removed to the new home near Morgantown, W. Va.
Cassville at one time was the largest town in the district. Its early growth may be largely attributed to its location on the forks of Scott's and Pointer's Run, which furnished abundant water supply for tanneries and mills, and that it is also situated at the junction of the Morgantown, Laurel Point and Mt. Morris Roads.
The early industries which were flour and feed mill, tanneries, wagon and carriage shops, are things of the past due largely to modern processes and competition, which make small enterprised impracticable.
Cassville at the present time still retains the appearance with respect to buildings, of the towns of sixty years ago.
The building of Morgantown & Wheeling Railway, and the development of the coal in this vicinity have made Cassville a prosperous little village at the present time. The village now consists of thirty three dwellings three stores conducted by J. W. Kennedy, C. L. Ciallelli, and Mrs. Ross West, Methodist Episcopal Church and one school building
Mrs. Charles Barrickman built a few years since a blacksmith shop, but a great rainstorm so increased the volume of water in Scott's Run, that it washed away.
PRESENT RESIDENTS OF CASSVILLE AND SUBDISTRICT #10
Dr. Milton Rinehart, was born near Waynesburt, Pa. He is a graduate of Waynesburg College and Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, Pa Dr. Rinehart practiced medicine two years before coming to Cassville, and has been practicing in this village for about thirty four years. Mrs. Milton Rinehart, his wife, was formerly Mary A. Ralphsnyder.
Dr. George Rinehart, a brother of Dr. Milton Rinehart, was born near Wayneburg, Pa. and is a graduate of Wayneburg College and of Western Penna. Medical College. Mrs. Mary Wright was born in Greene County, Pa. In the year 1842 her family moved to Dunkard Creek. Her maiden name was Mary Mason. Her husband was Lineley Wright, deceased. Her first residence in this neighborhood was at the Barton Core Property now owned by Charles Core. She still lives in Cassville. Alta Riley, daughter of Sophronia Wright and Daniel Riley married Asa Sutton and resides near Cassville.
Cecil Riley, married Eva Fox. To this union was born two children, Daniel, who works in Oklahoma Oil Fields and Edward who is superintendent of the Carnegie Gas Co. of Fairview, W. Va.
Sophronia Wright was married to Daniel Riley from the State of New York. Their children are Alta, Cecil and Edward. Luther Sanders of Cassville married Jennie Steele. To this union were born five children. Goldie M., Ola J., Cora L, Abba and Virginia. Goldie M. Sanders married D. J. Barrickman and now resides at Akron, Ohio.
Ola J. Sanders married Guy Hull and resides at Morgantown. Cora L. Sanders married John. L. Craigg, formerly of Newton, Pa. Mr. Craigg came to Cassville in 1908 and has been a teacher of the rural schools for thirteen years. He taught two terms at Fuller School, Whitley Township, Pa. three at Chapen, three at Walnut Hill and two at Cassville. At the present time he is an agent for the J. R. Watkins Company.
Virginia Sanders is a teacher in the Randall school at the present time.
Mr. Charles Barrickman was born about one mile north of Cassville. Mrs. Barrickman before her marriage was Lenora Hackney. Mr. Barrickman now owns the Joe Higgins Property, having lived there for about twenty three years. Their children are Crawford, David and Robert. David and Robert are twins.
John W. Stoker married Nancy C. Raber. They were the parents of five children, Elizabeth Berry, Jasper H. Stoker of Pittsburgh, Pa., Mrs. Dora McCreedy, deceased, William B. Stoker of Monongalia County and Adella Stoker who resides at Cassville.
John W. Stoker was the son of Brazier and Sarah Stoker. Nancy Raber Stoker was the daughterof Wm and Elizabeth Raber.
Thornton L. Berry married Elizabaeth Stoker in the year 1896. Their children are Lorentz A. Berry, Glady Berry, deceased and Ralph D. Berry. Lorentz A. Berry is a proprieter of an automobile shop in Fargo N. D.
Ralph Berry is a graduate of the Morgantown High School and at the present time is employed at the Soper-Mitchell Coal Co. on Scott's Run.
Mr. and Mrs. Thornton Berry own the old Samuel Berry Property and have resided there twenty years.
Mr. Joseph E. Falter lives near Cassville on the Mt. Morris Road. He came from Uniontown, Pa. and was first employed as a contractor by the Monongahela Railroad Company. At the present time he is a superintendent of the Shriver Coal Company on Scott's Run. They have two adopted children, John and Mary Falter.
Warren Ammons of Cassville is the son of David Ammons and May Powell. In 1897 he married Lena may Copeland, the daughter of Spence Copeland and Lyda West. To this union were born the following children, Albert who is married and lives at Cassville, and Morris Earl, Russel and Clarence at home.
Mrs. Warren Ammons father was a minister.
Sarah M. Liming, a widow of Richard Benson Berry, a Civil War Veteran and carpenter by trade, resides at Cassville. She has one son, Harry Liming, a prosperous farmer living on the Mt. Morris Road.
George Matheson, the son of Elizabeth McDouglas and Joseph Matheson married Jeanette Fletcher in 1908. They have one adopted child, Clarence Matheson. George and his father are miners.
Samuel Bossina is an employee of the Barbara Mining Co. He is a native of Italy. His wife is dead and the father and three children, Josephine, Rita and Felix, reside at Cassville.
Mr. C. L. Ciallelli came to Cassville December 23, 1921. His first wife is dead. Their children are Ralph and Benjamin. His second wife was Mrs. Laura Webster and is the present Postmistress.
J. W. Kennedy, merchant in the K. O. T. M. Building came from Bealer to Cassville, October 20,1918. His wife was Sarah McElroy. They have one son who married Nora Henderson, the daughter of David Henderson who now resides in Morgantown.
J. W. Kennedy was postmaster at Cassville and was succeeded by Mrs. C. L. Ciallelli.
William Lough married Elizabeth Hackney. Their children were Maud and Myrtle.
Maud Lough was a teacher and Myrtle married David Ramsey. Mrs. Elizabeth Waters, the widow of the late John R. Waters, is the daughter of Duncan Malott and his wife Mary A. Raber. She was born November 1865 near Bowlby W. Va. Her parents were of Irish and Dutch descent. Several years ago she was united in marriage to John R. Waters, the son of John N. Waters and his wife Malinda Snyder.
Mr. Waters was born near Flickersville. He was one of a large family of children viz: Benson deceased, who was at one time country superintendent of schools, Ann Elizabeth, Fiske, Mack, Otis, Exerbia all of who reside at Morgantown, W. Va.
The Waters family moved into this neighborhood when Mr. Waters was a boy of twelve years. The located on a large farm between what is now Barker & Bowlby. He died of Blood Poison, November 1909 at the age of fifty six year. To this union wer born seven children, Mrs. Vallia Wade of Morgantown, Ross Waters of Start City, Mrs. Ina Everley, deceased, Lela, Opal, Loyd and John who resides with their mother on a farm near Cassville. THis farm is at the head of Scott's Run mining section and was used by Monongalia County Infirmary from January 1876 to April 1921.
Mrs. Waters was Superintendent of the county home from April 1918 until they removed the inmates to heir new home near Morgantown in April 1921.
Mr. Calvin Cordray was born Nov. 4, 1854 at Hagan W. Va. His wife Mrs. Mila Cordray was born March 2, 1860 at Cassville, W. Va. to this union were born five children, Charles R. Cordray born in McCurdysville, W. Va. and now resides at Cassville: Ora Cordray Lough, who was born at Cassville, and now lives at Morgantown: Barton Cordray, who now resides at Point Marion, Pa.; Winnie Corday Neely, who lives at Cassville and Nancy Cordray Lynch who lives in Morgantown, W. Va.
Mrs. Emma L. Morris wife of Dr. Florence K. Morris was born April 16th, 1851 at Cassville, W. Va. Mrs. Morris, a widow at the present time, lives at Keyser, W. Va. To this union four children were born. Lena M. Bowlby of Morgantown, W. Va., Mary K. Sanders of Keyser, W. Va., Emma B. Cordray of Cassville and James T. Morris of Huntington, W. Va.
Charles R. Cordray and Emma B. Morris was married Sept.17, 1902 at Cassville by Rev. Smith. To this union five children were born, Mary Louise Cordray, Calvin Ross, Margret, Alice, James Lewis and Lena Catherine deceased.
Mrs. William Troy came from Greene County, Pa. in 1919. Her son Alva Troy, a miner and her granddaughter May Troy make their home with her at Cassville.
Herbert Fleming is the son of Eno Fleming. He is a prominent citizen of this community both in religious and educational affairs. He was a former President of the Board of Education of Cass District. He is now Supt. of the M. E. Sunday School.
Mrs. Herbert Fleming before her marriage was Miss Sallie Hood. Their children are Glen and John. Glen Fleming married May Core, and now resides at Cassville. Their children are Catherine and Smith. John married Greek Riley. They had one child, John Jr. They also reside in Cassville.
Christopher Columbus Core resides near Herman Hill near Mooresville, W. Va. His son married Nancy Fleming daughter of Levin Fleming. They resided at Cassville. Their children were Mattie, Hannah, Christopher C., Charles Ross, Elmira, Rebecca, Mary, Lewis and William.
Mattie Core married Oliver p. Wade and now resides at Marysville, Mo.
Hannah Core married Corbin Alexander and lives in Missouri. Mr. Alexander is dead.
Christopher C. Core is a prominent citizen of Cassville. He was a member of the Board of Education of Cass District and also County Commissioner. Mr. Core has been dead three years.
Mrs. Core before her marriage was Sarah Ellen Schultz. She now resides with her daughter Helen at Morgantown, W. Va. Their children are Charles Ross, Lee, Guy, Grace, May and Helen.
Charles Ross Core married Victoria Berry, daughter of Thomas Berry. He now resides near Cassville and is employed in the coal mines.
He was at one time Secretary of the Board of Education. Their children are Robert, Dorothy, Frances and Lenna. Lenna married G. E. Dent. They have one child, Helen.
Lee Core resides with his sister at Morgantown, W. Va.
Guy Core resides about two miles north of Cassville. His wife was Miss Etta Shanks. They have six children, Willis, Glenn, Beryl, Lois, Lulu and Dahnia.
Grace Cole married Dr. George Rinehart, a physician at Cassville.
Helen Cole married John Everley and now resides at Morgantown.
May Core married Glen Fleming, son of Herbert Fleming. Their children are Catherine and Smith.
Charles Core is a prominent citizen of Cassville, and is at the present overseer of the poor. Mrs. Charles Core before her marriage was Laura Price.
Their children are, Rebecca, Earl, William, Rose, Jessie, Addie and Barton.
Addie Core lives near Cassville. His wife before her marriage was Blanche Miller. Mr. Core at the present time is employed in the coal mines.
Their children are Charles, Mary, Martha and Harold.
Rebecca married Earnest Conway and lives at Mannington, W. Va. Their children are Martha, Rachel, Daniel and John.
Earl Core married Jessie Chaplin of Morgantown, W. Va. Their children are Earl Jr. and Barton.
William Core was a soldier in the World's War.
Rose Core is now a student in the West Virginia University. She was a former teacher of Cass Distrcit and is at present secretary of the board of education of Cass District.
Jessie Core is also a student at the West Virginia University. She married William Donley and lives at Mt. Morris, Pa.
Barton Core was a member of the National Guard and died while on duty at Pittsburgh, Pa.
Lewis Core is a missionary in India. He married Mary Kenendy. They have three children, Carol, Catherine and Helena.
Harold was a soldier in the World's War and married a Belgian girl abroad and lives at present in California.
Rebecca Core married William Loar of Laurel Point. Mrs. Core is now dead and her husband still resides at Laurel Point. Moses Core married Mattie Smith. Their children are Minnie and Lewis.
J. A. Berry is a son of Thomas Berry. He was a former miller at Cassville but his mill burned. The origin of the fire is unknown.
Mr. Berry married Ada Barrackman, daughter of Franklin Barrackman an old citizen of Cassville. They have one son who is a student in the Morgantown High School.
Mr. and Mrs. Ross West were raised at Mooreville. Mrs. West has been a merchant at Cassville for about four years.
Mr. and Mrs. Beryl Willard came to this community from Daybrook. They now live at ?? and he is employed by the Barbara Mining Co., they have one child, Lester.
W. A. Tucker, son of John W. Tucker, son of John W. Tucker, one of the oldest residents of Cassville, having lived in the Tucker homestead from 1866-1917. Mrs. W. A. Tucker's maiden name was Rebecca Courtney.
Mr. W. A. Tucker and his father operated a harness shop at one time in Cassville. Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Tucker have five children who have received high degrees of scholarship.
Courtney Tucker is connected with the State Geological Survey of the West Virginia University.
Mary Esther Tucker is a teacher of domestic science in Cowen High School. She is now teaching her fourth term of school. Eldon Tucker is a physician connected with the Chester Hospital of Chester, Pa.
John Weyland Tucker is a senior at W. Va. U.
Earl Tucker the youngest child is a student in the Morgantown High School.
Eldon and John Weyland Tucker were both in training during the World War.
Philip Shively grandfather of Michael Shively when ninety three years of age split a hundred rails per day. He used to say his father was his own man for one hundred years, he having been one hundred twenty years of age at his death.
FLOOD OF 1912:
On July 21, 1912 about 2 PM, it began to rain and Scott's Run became a raging torrent. The water covered the street of Cassville and entered many homes. It washed out two bridges, some barns and one dwelling house owned by the order K.O.T.M.
Charles Ross Core lived in the K.O.T.M. Building at this time. It washed away all the furniture and all that was in the house. It happened that none of the family were in the house at the time having gone into the store during the storm. It damaged considerable property in Cassville.
A Drummer who was in Cassville during this storm had his horse and buggy washed away and also his satchel containing valuable papers. The satchel was found about 3 months afterwards by some men who were repairing J. A. Berry's barn.
Benjamin Chestney was a Revolutionary Soldier.
Philip Shively was a corporal during the War of 1812.
Nicholas B. Madera was a Lieutenant under Captain James Thompson from Sept. 7, 1864 to May 22nd, 1866.
Richard Benson Berry was a private in Company A. First W. Va. Cavalry.
Lewis Sutton and Job Lawlis served in the same company as Mr. Berry.
Wm. Shriver was a recruit under the same commander as Nicholas B. Madera.
Isac Furman and Charles McClain served in Company D. Third W. Va. Cavalry.
Wm. P. Cole served in Company D. First W. Va. Infantry. He was under command of Captain Finnell.
Jacob Barrickman served in Company D. Third W. Va. Cavalry.
Oliver P. Wade served in Company A, First W. Va. Cavalry.
Max Chestney is a veteran of the Spanish American War.
Barton Core was a member of the National Guard and died while on duty at Pittsburgh, Pa. during the World War.
William Core was also a soldier during the World War.
Guy Chestney was an aviator during the World War and has not been heard of at the present time.
The Sub-District as well as the entire District is noted for its natural resources, which consists of several veins of coal, natural gas, lime and building stone. Much valuable timber occupies land, which is not favorable for agricultural purposes.
The agricultural interests in this district are not so great as they were at one time due largely to the development of the coal mines on Scott's Run prior and during the World War. The mines at that time employed many men at an attractive wage. If a general coal strike terminates on April 1st, 1922, it is to be assured that much idle land in this section will again receive the attention it deserves and be made to feed and clothes and make the people prosperous and happy.